Mayhem has moved to Scarlet Gorge and Scarwood Reach!

Posted by on 8 October 2013
Categories: Community Events, Updates.

Mayhem has moved again! Today and tomorrow, Telarans must fight in Scarlet Gorge and Scarwood Reach for a change to earn this rare loot:

• Ornamental Cape
  • Battlemaster’s Spaulders
  • Riding Cap
  • Corsair’s Helm
  • Lesser Experience Vial
  • Lesser Token Tablet
  • Bogling Lamppost (dimension item)
  • Snowy Rock (dimension item)
  • Cinder Hellbug Mount
  • Cindy Hellbug Pet
  • Shard of Dire Prophecy (vanity weapon)RIFT_POSE_CinderHellbug_02

Memories During Mayhem

Deb Davis, Community Coordinator

My first zone event was during primetime on the Saturday after launch. I was exhausted. Any game’s launch week is tiring for a Customer Support team. I had spent the last few days answering tickets, spawning NPCs, restoring items, banning jerks, and generally running around like a chicken with my head cut off. (I tried not to show it, with only a moderate amount of success.)

I had helped players for a full nine hours that day, and when I got home, I was still itching to play. So I did. I made a Defiant. (Sorry, Guardians. You smell.) I contentedly completed my quests, I skinned my mobs, and made myself at home in Freemarch – which was, by the way, packed beyond belief. If players were sardines, Freemarch was a tin. It was so crowded that I could barely navigate to my quests.

An alert flashed across my screen, a five-minute warning of the impending event, and I disregarded it. I knew what it meant, of course. But knowing was different from experiencing it, different from seeing it unfold.

I took notice when the whole zone darkened and rifts split open across the sky. I checked my map, watching invasions spawn from the rifts, and I worried, because group content had always been my weakness. I didn’t have very good gear, being new. I didn’t know what I was doing, as I was playing a new soul. I was a “bad,” and I was terrified, but I set off for the nearest objective.

I worried for nothing.

Rift after rift was closed, even with my clumsy attempts at DPS. I clicked the “join public group” button and was tossed into a full raid, complete with kind Clerics and Chloros and Bards who tossed heals out like candy. In a daze, I followed the growing herd of people atop their tartagons, cutting down swathes of mobs in their wake. And cut they did: invasions fell, rifts evaporated, wardstones were reacquired in the blink of an eye.

My mind rushed with adrenaline as the event boss spawned, and the herd took off toward the skull icon on our maps. We collided with the boss head-on, joining another group that had already engaged. He was huge, and we were small, but there were a hundred or more of us. I mashed my keys and hoped for the best, and what was surely no longer than five minutes felt like an hour.

I sagged with relief in my chair when it was done, grinning from ear to ear. We had slain the giant. We had triumphed over the invading forces. I had played for the better part of an hour without even noticing.

It had stopped being about me, and that is what I remember.

Tags: